Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place..

I've rock climbed before... But I've fake rock climbed where I got certified from a plastic wall with plastic rocks strategically placed to climb. Not saying those things are cake, but nothing prepared me for what we had in store for our rock climbing segment of Hawaii HI-Lights. I woke up that morning thinking I was going to be on those fake walls using my muscles to reach the top. I made the trek up to Mokule'ia Beach on the North Shore where we were informed that we were to hike up a mountain AND THEN climb this massive REAL rock wall. Ummmmm, what? This would be the mountain we were hiking... GULP... Good thing I had my Chuck Taylor's on!


I asked my friend Anna Dequintanaroo if she'd like to accompany us on our day of filming, but little did she know what she was in for as well..



Pictures from the hike up.. Not a bad view...



Sam (Camera) and Ian (Producer/Camera) also had to endure the hot temperatures and hike up the mountain in order to get the money shots..


Once we reached the top I realized there was a whole pulley system set up by someone I was told called the "bug guy".. He apparently attached ropes to chains and locks at the top of the mountain so you could attach your own ropes and gear so you didn't have to worry about figuring out a way to get to the top THEN hike... A pretty complex operation I tell you.. We had a few people help us get set up who are seasoned climbers..


Ian had to get up to the top in order to get the "above" shots while Sam filmed below so there were two camera angles... He was checking out how high he actually had to go... BUT he was able to get maneuvered aka "supermanned" up there!




We got a mini lecture on the correct way to climb from Jean.. I just wanted to hurry up and get up there, she made it look so easy!! Notice I said "look so easy".. First up was Nicole and she made it up super fast!



I went second and got hooked up to all the pulleys for safety... I struggled at first to get used to the rock and what I needed to do.. Let me just say that rock climbing definitely messes with your head and jacks up your body.. I got bruised up on my knees and back/shoulders.. I had to stop a few times and take breathers to gather myself and stay determined that I was going to get up that rock.. My fingers were clenching on to almost nothing on the rocks and when I pulled them away they got so stiff I had to stretch them out between steps.. I was definitely the slowest, but I made it! Reached Ian for the shot!!








Anna went last and outshined us all.. girl has mad skills!!



Our rock climbing episode just aired on episode 6, so check out all previous episodes on the KITV website!

..determination has never hurt so bad, but felt so good..

No comments:

Post a Comment