Monday, April 19, 2010

"The Message" at the Hawaii International Film Festival..


So I'm not a huge film buff and know all the intricacies of filming and camera angles and all the things I probably should be paying attention to. BUT I do love the process of going to the movies.. Buying popcorn, grabbing a hot dog and finding the perfect seat to be entertained for about 2 hours. Last night I watched an indie film called "The Message" that is part of the Hawaii International Film Festival (HIFF). Let me tell you, I was totally impressed. Definitely not a low budget film (or at least it didn't appear that way) and the actors were talented. My favs were Zhou Xun and Li Bingbing, both Chinese actresses.. The friendship that binds them and their onscreen appearance definitely captivated me. I can see them crossing the Pacific onto Hollywood's big screen. If you have a film festival near you, this is one to catch!

Movie synopsis: China, 1942. The Chinese leaders acting as Japanese puppets are assassinated one after another. In order to catch the “phantom,” the spy within the intelligence sector, the Japanese create a false code and confines the only five people who had access to this code. Each one is individually interrogated with a carrot and a stick, but finding the spy is not easy. The intense psychological warfare between the five agents and intelligence officers climbs to its climax as friendship is tested against the moral duty to sacrifice oneself for the country.

*Movie synopsis and picture courtesy of hiff.org

No comments:

Post a Comment