Friday, October 1, 2010

Pilot For A Day... Destination: Maui!!

I'm not the type to have a list of things I have to do before I die.. Or accomplishments that I have to fulfill by a certain age. I am a go-getter though. Once I have something stuck in my head or I'm given the opportunity to do something, I must give it 1000% and there's no looking back. I like that I can by chance be given opportunities in life and take it as I go. BUT if I were to have a life checklist.. "flying a plane" would have been officially checked off.





Our friend Charles is a pilot in the Navy and he rented a plane for the day so we can see the island of Oahu like birds do.. the best way possible, especially since the islands are filled with so much greenery, waterfalls, cliffs, and clear blue waters.. So I'm going to put it out there now.. We first stopped at the North Shore after flying there from the Honolulu Airport. I. Got. Sick. Not in the plane, just nauseus and thought I was going to be sick on everyone and everything.. Talk about turbulence! I fly all the time and love rollercoasters and boats, but this was insane! I was sitting in the back and Heidi and Charles took control of the navigating for the first part of the trip. Upon arriving I thought my insides were going to come out.. This was not in the plans and we still had to fly to Maui! Ekkkkk! I rested as much as I could and opted out of trying the airplane gliders. I do want to try this one day.. An airplane WITH an engine tied to the glider WITHOUT an engine pulls you up into the air and releases the rope attached.. From there you just literally glide around until you decide to come down.. Crazy talk right? Charles took Heidi and Chris up separately as I patiently awaited on the safe cement down below trying to settle my very upset stomach. Check out the pics below of this craziness (I didn't realize Heidi was so strong!):



Next up... Maui! Everyone figured if I sit up front my stomach may feel a little better.. so for the remainder of the ride to Maui and back I sat shotgun... You know what that means? I got to fly!! It's super weird because we're so used to video games and movies that make it look like you're flying but there's nothing like actually having control and feeling the wind beneath the airplane wings.. Left, right, up, down.. following the horizon line.. Unbelievable (note the picture where Charles is trying to figure out where we are using the map and not actually flying the plane... ekkk haha!).




Here are some of the views... We passed Molokai on the way up and the greenery on the island was just beautiful...







Upon landing in Maui, we had a rental car waiting for us at the airport where all the private planes are.. very celebrity-ish style... We spent most of the time playing in the air, so we didn't have too much time to spend on Maui.. But we hit up the important places.. Krispy Kreme doughnuts..



We also went to the town called Paia and ate at this amazing organic pizza place called Flatbreads.. There's a sense of freedom when you don't have to worry about boarding times, security lines, and luggage when flying a private plane.. hmmmmmm... A new way to travel??




Our Maui escapade was over but not before having to refill the plane back up with gas.. Talk about wondering where the gas tank is..


Back to the island of Oahu....


Video montage of our flight...


...seeing the world as birds do.. magical..

5 comments:

  1. How cool are you?!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! You should of told me you were on the Island..I hope you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun!

    @Mrs. Official Superficial.. We only were on Maui for a couple hours, super random and I wasn't sure we were going until the night before.. boo!! Next time for sure!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I flew cessna's when I was 18 at OU and did pilot training (glider planes) at the US Air Force Academyin Colorado Springs... super fun, but the whole pilot thing really isn't my cup of tea...I was a bit of a scaredy cat! I prefer the passenger side ;)

    ReplyDelete